Please comment on Standard Three. Thanks!
The visually literate student interprets and analyzes the meaning of images and visual media.
1. The visually literate student identifies information relevant to an image’s meaning.
- a. Looks carefully at an image and observes details
b. Reads captions, metadata, and accompanying text to learn about an image
c. Identifies the subject of an image
d. Examines the relationships of images to each other, and uses related images to inform interpretation
e. Recognizes when more information about an image is needed, develops questions for further research, and conducts additional research as appropriate
2. The visually literate student situates an image in its cultural, social, and historical contexts.
- a. Describes cultural and historical factors relevant to the production of an image (e.g., time period, geography, economic conditions, political structures, social practices)
b. Examines the purpose and meaning of an image in its original context
c. Describes the intended audience for an image
d. Explores representations of gender, ethnicity, and other cultural identifiers in images
e. Investigates how the audience, context, and interpretation of an image may have changed over time
3. The visually literate student identifies the physical, technical, and design components of an image.
- a. Describes pictorial, graphic, and aesthetic elements of an image (e.g., color, composition, line, shape, contrast, repetition, style)
b. Identifies materials, technologies, and techniques used in the production of an image
c. Determines whether an image is an original or a reproduction
d. Examines image for signs of editing, alteration, or manipulation (e.g., cropping, color correction, image replacement)
4. The visually literate student validates interpretation and analysis of images through discourse with others.
- a. Participates in classroom and other discussions about images
b. Seeks expert and scholarly opinion about images
c. Informs analysis with discipline-specific perspectives and approaches